Friday, September 7, 2012

Hurricane Isaac, Curse or Answered Prayer?

Good Morning Lord!

     It's a beautiful, rainy morning! We've prayed for rain and now here it is! The same rain that is blessing us is brought by the storm that caused flooding and destruction in the South (Hurricane Isaac). Things often seem to be that way- they strengthen or break, create gain or loss. We see it as winning or losing, good or bad. We have such tiny perspectives.
     As I read in Judges this morning, I read that Your people did not drive out all of the enemies from the land that You gave them in the Old Testament Covenant. In their neglect, they did not live up to the covenant that was created between them and You. In so doing, they gained slaves, yes, and they probably thought that was a good thing! It wasn't! Along with gaining slaves, they gained snares to their spirits in the gods of their enemies.
     They took the easy way and forsook their part of the covenant with You. How many times in my own life have I taken the easy way and not lived up to what or who I'm supposed to be in the covenant I share with You?
  • How many times have I looked to my own entertainment instead of spending time with You? Turning on the computer or TV instead of picking up my Bible and spending time with You in Your word?
  • How many times on Sunday morning have I chosen to sleep in instead of getting up and gathering with Your body of believers to worship and praise You?
  • How many times have I ignored one of Your children in need and looked to my own needs only?
  • How many times have I congratulated myself on "my" successes instead of thanking and praising You for the success?
  • How many times have I let the enemy have the victory over me, brought by fear, defeat and weakness?
  • How many times have I judged someone that was trying to walk with You and stumbled?
  • How many times have I ______________(fill in the blank, we all know the demons that we fight individually and collectively!).
     Lord, we have found that there are many enemies in our promised land! Your word says our battle is not against flesh and blood (as it was for Your first Covenant people). Our battle is against the rulers, against the powers, against the world forces of this darkness (which is the dominion of Satan, Acts 26:18) against the spiritual forces of wickedness in the heavenly places. (Eph. 6:12 NASB)
     "We were dead in our trespasses and sins" (Eph. 2:1 NASB) and we did "walk according to the prince of the power of the air;" we were "by nature children of wrath." But no more!
     As You told the children of the old covenant to drive out the enemies, we are told to drive out our "enemies." We are to drive out fear, defeat any weaknesses, and live in "the land" that You have given us. "So let us run the race that is before us and never give up. We should remove from our lives anything that would get in the way and the sin that so easily holds us back." (Heb 12:1 NCV)
     The land that You have given us? "You have raised us up with Him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus. (Eph 2:6 NASB) This is the land where we are to live! In Your presence, seated with Jesus!
     We will do battle! We will claim the promise You have given! We will not let the snares of this world entangle us and keep us from the inheritance that You have promised! We will not settle for "good and bad" as the first covenant people did! We, as the New Covenant People, will run our enemies out! No Fear, No Defeat, No Weakness will hold Your people back.
    
     Thank You Father! Thank You Lord Jesus! Thank You Holy Spirit! Amen


~Lorna Mercer



    

No comments:

Post a Comment