Saturday, December 15, 2012

Above All Else

     I've read that no two people see the same rainbow. That was really interesting to me at the time, but this morning it expanded in my thinking that no two people see the same "anything". First consider the rainbow, it is made of different little bits of moisture that reflects light. The light reflected is what we see and because no two people are standing in exactly the same place or are the same exact height we are not seeing the same exact reflection, it has changed from location to location, even if it's just a teeny tiny distance separating us.
     So when we are considering or "looking" at a situation and trying to understand someone else's point of view we are never able to completely comprehend. Our own consideration of situations will even change from moment to moment!
     This morning an example broke into my understanding that for me to try to see something from Lane's point of view is impossible! We may be physically standing at the same point of existence now, but we will never see things exactly the same and actually even our point of existence will never be the same. My life experiences change or "color" where I am now, not to mention my thinking process is so very different from his.
     Explaining feelings or ideas is a hopeless contrivance unless the person receiving them is able to attempt to receive. Even in their attempt to receive we need to be patient and understand that we are attempting something that is truly impossible and allow space for the differences.
     With all of this said it brings us back to our only hope, our only hope is not "understanding"  but of  love~

If I give everything I own to the poor and even go to the stake to be burned as a martyr, but I don’t love, I’ve gotten nowhere. So, no matter what I say, what I believe, and what I do, I’m bankrupt without love.
Love never gives up.
Love cares more for others than for self.
Love doesn’t want what it doesn’t have.
Love doesn’t strut,
Doesn’t have a swelled head,
Doesn’t force itself on others,
Isn’t always “me first,”
Doesn’t fly off the handle,
Doesn’t keep score of the sins of others,
Doesn’t revel when others grovel,
Takes pleasure in the flowering of truth,
Puts up with anything,
Trusts God always,
Always looks for the best,
Never looks back,
But keeps going to the end.
1 Corinthians 13:3-7
 (The Message)
 
     Yes, we do need to communicate, share, talk, strive to understand each other, but above all of this we have to stand, live and speak on a foundation of love~
 
Above all, keep fervent in your love for one another, because love covers a multitude of sins. 1 Peter 4:8 (NASB)
 
~Lorna Mercer

No comments:

Post a Comment