Friday, January 16, 2015

Sweet-Smelling

     Now that Lane is sharing a teaching or scripture for tithing each week at church scriptures or teachings in the bible about tithing seem to be everywhere I read! 
     The scripture that I'm sharing now is written by Paul and he's teaching the Philippians, in the book of Philippians, a principle of God's nature. 

Several times you sent me things I needed when I was in Thessalonica. Really, it is not that I want to receive gifts from you, but I want you to have the good that comes from giving. And now I have everything, and more. I have all I need, because Epaphroditus brought your gift to me. It is like a sweet-smelling sacrifice offered to God, who accepts that sacrifice and is pleased with it. My God will use his wonderful riches in Christ Jesus to give you everything you need. Philippians 4:16-19 NCV


     The principle in this case is that God wants us to give "gifts", this is beyond our regular tithing. Tithing and giving is not a subject that most people like to hear about, kind of like children on the playground aren't always eager to "share" the toy that they have desired and finally been given. We'd rather hear about what God is doing for us, right?
     Nonetheless, God's principles about tithing and giving is that He gives to us, so we can in turn give back to Him and to others. It's a never ending cycle, unless we stop it by not giving! 

     In scripture, we're even told that the giving we do for His purposes, whereas it is a sacrifice to us, is "sweet-smelling" and pleasing to God. And also, God's principle follows that as He is pleased with our gifts, He will in turn give you everything you need! Here I know you start thinking of God giving you all of your "wants", right? I do that too! but God's promise is to give you everything that you "need", let's learn to be content with having our "needs" supplied...that in itself is a true gift and blessing from our Heavenly Father. 

No comments:

Post a Comment