Tuesday, September 12, 2017

Old Wisdom

Don't believe everything you hear and only half of what you see.    

     This is a very old saying of wisdom. There used to be a lot of them, what happened to them? They seem to have been swept away from public knowledge or thinking.....

If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.
A stitch in time saves nine.
A fool and his money are soon parted.
A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.
Actions speak louder than words.
All that glitters is not gold.
An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
   
     I want to share something that I thought I witnessed. We were recently at a fast food restaurant for their WiFi and I thought I saw an act of laziness, and I even started grumbling to Lane about a man that went off and left his tray of trash on his table. I started saying, "that man went off and left all of his wrappers and stuff for someone else to clean up for him"! I couldn't see everything that was on the tray, but I did see the trash! Lane looked over and said he could see food on the tray too. Where we were sitting we could see the man walk out, so we knew he wasn't coming back.... but then we saw the truth of the situation. Another man, kind of scrubby looking, came to the table, looked at the tray and picked up an already wrapped burger, put it in his pocket and then picked up an ice cream dessert with a spoon, and then the tray. He took the tray to the trash can, dumped it out and went away with the burger and ice cream.
     At this point, I'm not sure what all I had just witnessed, except I think maybe it was a kindness that we saw instead of laziness. The old saying "Don't believe everything you hear and only half of what you see" came to mind and I thought what a good lesson that was and an important thing to remember before I start trying to judge someone else's actions!

No comments:

Post a Comment