Friday, March 16, 2018

Acts 8:9-24

Today's scriptures told the story of Simon, 
1. Simon was a man that had been practicing magic in the city where he lived. 
2. Simon heard Phillip, a disciple of Jesus preaching about God's kingdom and the name of Jesus, 
3. Simon was convicted and repented.
4. Simon stayed by Phillip's side going everywhere he went.
5. Peter and John came to the town where Phillip was preaching.
6. The baptism of the Holy Spirit fell on the ones that Peter and John placed hands on and filled each of them.
7. Simon saw how the Holy Spirit was released and he wanted the ability and offered to pay Peter and John to give him the ability "so that I also can lay my hands on everyone to receive the Holy Spirit.”.
8. Peter rebuked Simon! 
9. Peter told Simon that he was going to hell along with his money! 
10. Peter told Simon that he would never be part of their ministry because his heart was wrong...but that if he prayed he might be forgiven.

In this scripture I have been convicted that we have elevated people and their feelings above God's holiness, we are more concerned in offending a person than we are of protecting the honor of our Saviour! I cannot imagine any Christian of today saying the things to Simon that Peter said! Yet Peter walked in the power of the Holy Spirit, Peter's very shadow was a healing power! 

Lord I do pray that You will forgive my shortcomings, forgive me when I have not stood firm for Your honor! Forgive me when my heart has been wrong and not right with You! Please Holy Spirit come and create a right, steadfast spirit and a clean, pure heart in me! Help me to have understanding and wisdom. Give me courage to walk how You would have me walk, to speak what You would have me to say! I love You Lord, thank You for loving me! In Jesus' name~ 






Acts 8:9-24 Now, there was a man who lived there who was steeped in sorcery. For some time he had astounded the people of Samaria with his magic, boasting to be someone great.Everyone, from the least to the greatest among them, was dazzled by his sorcery, saying, “This man is the greatest wizard of all! The divine power of God walks among us!” For many years everyone was in awe of him because of his astonishing displays of the magic arts.

But as Philip preached the wonderful news of God’s kingdom realm, and the name of Jesus the Anointed One, many believed his message and were baptized, both men and women. Even Simon believed and was baptized! Wherever Philip went, Simon was right by his side, astounded by all the miracles, signs, and enormous displays of power that he witnessed.

When the apostles in Jerusalem heard that the Samaritans had accepted God’s message of life, they sent Peter and John to pray over them so that they would receive the Holy Spirit. For they had only been baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus and were yet to have the Holy Spirit fall upon them. As soon as Peter and John arrived, they laid their hands on the Samaritan believers, one after another, and the Holy Spirit fell and filled each one of them!

When Simon saw how the Holy Spirit was released through the laying on of the apostles’ hands, he approached them and offered them money, saying, “I want this power too. I’m willing to pay you for the anointing that you have, so that I also can lay my hands on everyone to receive the Holy Spirit.”

Peter rebuked him and said, “Your money will go with you to destruction! How could you even think that you could purchase God’s supernatural gift with money? You will never have this gift or take part in this ministry, for your heart is not right with God. Repent this moment for allowing such wickedness to fill you. Plead with the Lord that perhaps he would forgive you the treachery of your heart. For I discern that jealous envy has poisoned you and binds you as a captive to sin.”

Simon begged, “Peter, please pray to God for me. Plead with him so that nothing you just said over me may come to pass!”

No comments:

Post a Comment