Friday, October 26, 2012

Memories

     My mother is 85 years young, and she has some health issues but she still sounded peppy when I talked to her this morning on the telephone. While we were talking we touched on the subject of memories and how music can stir them. We touch memories very lightly and briefly so we don't both end up in a puddle of tears.
      I was sharing with my mother that it is surprising how a song out can stir memories that can not be avoided!
     She agreed and shared that just recently she heard another resident in her elderly housing situation singing, it was a man in another room and he started singing "You are my sunshine....my only sunshine..." as she heard the words she said she could see my father standing in front of her singing. They used to sing that song to each other and hearing the song instantly brought those memories back. This is such a sweet memory and I enjoyed hearing about it, so I'm sharing it here with you.

~L K Mercer~

No comments:

Post a Comment