Monday, January 25, 2016

Patterns

     There's a really cool app for phones, tablets and computers that I have been using lately, it's YouVersion (https://www.youversion.com/ ). It has the Bible and a lot of other features, but the feature I'm using is one where there's a plan to read through the Bible in 3 months! and not only that, it has a feature that will have it read it to you!
     So, as I've been shelling pecans I'm also being read to! It's a great way to go through some of the tougher books of the Bible, like the books of the Law and of the Kings (those are tedious for me!). As I've progressed through the chapters I can't imagine how God has tolerated man for so long! We are such an obstinate and rebellious bunch!
     The cycle seems never ending, God loves people, people love God....people turn from God and love other gods and themselves more than Him....God gets angry....the people are punished....the people repent and turn to God, He forgives and everything is good for a few years. There doesn't seem to even be two generations in a row that are faithful to God! What is wrong with us!
     One thing I have seen in the pattern between God and people is that even when people follow God they fail to give Him their "whole" heart, they always hold part back. Maybe that is our problem? Over and over they will turn to Him and try to restore things to Him, but they fail to tear down the "high places" of sacrifice. (Example 2 Kings 15:3-5)
     We need to realize that when we turn to God, He wants ALL of us! Even the "high places". It's obvious in scripture that if we try to hold back anything, it will be to our own downfall.
     Now we say, what are "high places"? Or at least what are our "high places"?
     "High Places" in scripture are places where there were altars to foreign gods, where there was incense burned and sacrifices made.        God is a jealous God and will not tolerate our interest or devotion to any god other than Himself, much less our "burning incense" or giving "sacrifices"!
     Next we ask ourselves, do I have any "high places" in my life? Is there something I have left standing when I told God He could have "all of me"? This will take prayer, we need to ask the Holy Spirit to "Please, examine me!", "Please show me any area that is not as it should be!", "Please, make me pleasing to my Heavenly Father", "Please tear down my 'High Places'!".
     The Holy Spirit has come to help us know our Heavenly Father more closely, more intimately and once we ask Him to do this He will set about accomplishing the very things we have asked. He wants to help us to grow in a way that glorifies Jesus, and we want to grow in that way, so it's a win-win deal!
     Unless you desire to live that old pattern of "love God, sin, repent, love God, sin repent..." then join me and say "Lord, please tear down my "High Places"! I want to walk with you in peace, victory and joy all the days of my life!"
     Then we can move from the old sinning pattern into the new pattern! Peace, Victory and Joy can be yours! Work with the Holy Spirit and it will be!
   


No comments:

Post a Comment