Saturday, March 24, 2012

What Is Your Definition Of Idolatry?

     I'm reading my way through the New Testament. I started with the Book of  John and have worked my way to Thessalonians. I wanted to share something from Colossians though. The verse that caught my attention is 3:5-7.
     This verse shows a different meaning for "idolatry" than I would have given if someone asked me my understanding. After considering it now though, I think I understand. If we are giving way to "immorality, impurity, passion, evil, desire, and greed" we are letting ourselves take precedence before God. We become the "IDOL" that we're practicing idolatry with!     As Christians we do entertain a certain amount of freedom and grace, but to abuse God's grace and think we are free to continue following our own desires ahead of His puts us in disobedience to our Lord and sets us up to incur His wrath. May it never be!

Colossians 3:5-7 "Therefore consider the members of your earthly body as dead to immorality, impurity, passion, evil, desire, and greed, which amounts to idolatry. For it is because of these things that the wrath of God will come upon the sons of disobedience, and in them you also once walked, when you were living in them."

No comments:

Post a Comment