Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Lesson From My Deck by L K Mercer

This last spring there were some beautiful petunias at the store, some were a vibrant purple and some a delicate shell pink with tinges of a deeper pink. I couldn't choose so I bought both colors and brought them home to plant. I enjoyed them on our deck with the colors a cheerful accent to the green of the trees across the lake. One day I looked out to see the whole plant wilted and no flowers! Checking closer there were about six big, fat, ugly worms eating away! I pulled the worms off and through them over the edge of the deck to their own fate. In one short night they had eaten over fifty percent of the plant and it was pathetic. I have been watering the plant now(for about two months), with little hope of it even surviving. I had started to pull the plants out and put something else in the pot to grow, but the plants still had a little(very little!) life in them and I didn't have the heart to deny them a chance at survival and yet here it is again blooming! It has happened so slowly that I hardly even noticed that it was blooming until there were several beautiful flowers.  There are so many thoughts available in this one example I don't want to even limit the lessons learned from this one example by encompassing it with my thoughts and words. Okay, just one thought, from despair and little hope to blossoms and beauty! Okay, one more, faithfulness (keep watering) and results!

No comments:

Post a Comment