Friday, November 11, 2011

God's Will part 2 (posted on blog by Lorna)

     Previously I wrote about Paul's walk, and after reading further into Acts I'd like to add more about how we try to ascertain God's will in our own lives. I myself have followed these same things so many times, believing that God's will would be evidenced by the ease of my life or path that lay ahead and now I'm reading how the counsel of others is not even something to be considered "iron clad" evidence of the Lord's will.
     As Paul was on his travels back to Jerusalem he continually heard from other believers "don't go to Jerusalem!" Acts 21:4 And having looked up the disciples there, we remained with them for seven days. Prompted by the [Holy] Spirit, they kept telling Paul not to set foot in Jerusalem. There were many who advised him not to enter Jerusalem.
     I know sometimes situations or "Godly counsel" can indicate what God's will is for our actions, but as Paul did, we need to look to the Lord and follow His guidance first. If the rest(situations and counsel) falls in line with what our hearts have already received then we have confirmation.
     I've always believed that we want God's will in parts of our lives, but we believe He should leave the rest to us. If we aren't willing to follow His will in all things, why do we believe He is bound to show us His will in part?

No comments:

Post a Comment