Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Do You Think? Posted by Lorna

     Do you think becoming parents is a part of life that helps us to fully understand our relationship with God? It has helped me to understand the ache He has watching His children's lives, actions and choices, wanting all of the best for us, watching us make choices in our lives, good and bad, watching us wander far from Him, watching us finally realize the value of our relationship with Him and drawing back close to Him.
     I know there are some children that always make the right choices, they never wander far and always value the role their parents play in their lives, but that is not the case with all children. Some children do not have parents and some have parents that are the ones making bad decisions, but I'm considering the people that have walked paths like myself or are in the process of walking it out.
     I have been one of the children that my Heavenly Father watched go through life, living what I thought was "my life", making my choices and never considering all of the people affected by it or that I could have wisdom and guidance from my parents and my Heavenly Father just by the asking. I mostly made not horrible choices, but some bad ones! I went my own way marrying who I chose, as my parents and God watched from the sideline. I didn't seek their wisdom or advice as I could have or should have. Now I watch my children go through life with no counsel requested and my heart yearns to share wisdom with them, but unasked for wisdom becomes the sound of criticism.
     As young adults we exult in the freedom we have to run free through the pleasures that life has to offer. Our friends and our own lives become more important than the older "out of touch" generation. We don't want to have anything hinder us in our pursuit of making our own choices and decisions, so off we go, to marry, to find jobs, buy houses, cars, have children, as the old saying goes "to make our own beds". If we took time to ask for advice and truly consider it, would our bed be more comfortable when we have to "lie in it"? If we did seek God's will, is it not more likely there would be less divorce, fewer abused children and women, less depression, less financial crises, less homelessness?  This list could go on and on, because God's will for our lives would be a life of good choices, it would be a blessing to us, to our families and society. But instead of asking for His guidance we run through life doing what we will, and He watches from the sidelines just as parents are often in a position of watching their children.
     As in my case, with a little age and maturity I have realized the great store of wisdom and knowledge that my parents have and are happy to share. I have been able to draw close to my parents and have a more full life. I long for the day my own children will draw close and seek my counsel, just as the Lord waits for His children to turn to Him. Each generation seems to wander and eventually finds it's own way back to its roots, parents and Heavenly Father.
      Life would be easier and the "bed made" would be more comfortable with the wisdom of the previous generation, and with the guidance of seeking and following His perfect will. Unfortunately the pattern for the majority of people seems to be going their own way and struggling through life and wondering where God is in "all of this"? He is on the sideline, waiting as any good parent, for the time when we finally recognize our need for Him, for His guidance, for His will. He is waiting for us to gain enough experience of going our own way to recognize that we need to ask Him for His wisdom.

No comments:

Post a Comment