Friday, April 27, 2012

Deeper with God

     "I think that the level of things you let go of in worldly things creates the level you can go deeper with the Spirit into Godly things."
     This was a comment I added to a conversation that was on Facebook, concerning a comment by the Author Randy Alcorn, "I’m deeply concerned at how careless and morally soft we’ve become as Christians. At times we are frighteningly weak in our exercise of sexual purity. We watch and are amused by what offends a holy God. Our tolerance for impurity keeps expanding. Sin sneaks in under our radar. We make ourselves defenseless. “Put to death therefore what is earthly in you: sexual immorality, impurity, passion, evil desire” (Col. 3:5).
     It soon had a comment about what we do or do not allow our children to see and made me think a little more deeply about it. This is what evolved~ this subject gets deep pretty fast so please bear with me!
     In my opinion(safe beginning, right?) there are some things we have to protect our children from but they are not the same as things that we have to protect ourselves from. With that said I think even adults have different levels that they can tolerate, I know Lane can tolerate a lot more violence and bloodshed in shows than I can. My spirit is really sensitive and once I see something it's like it's indelibly imprinted on my mind, so I have to be really careful! I have to know my limits and Lane has learned them and tries to protect me as well. Having limits isn't about depriving ourselves, it's about living where it's healthiest and safest for us to be.
     People tend to want a hard and fast rule to live by, but our walk with God is a living, growing thing. We have to trust the Spirit to lead us to recognise what is detrimental for our own spirits. If we are walking with the Spirit daily(even moment by moment) we will be alerted when we are entering a danger zone. Haven't you received a feeling that something is not right? It may be the slightest nudge and if you choose to not pay attention you can easily quiet it by your human understanding, but if you are desiring to have a deeper relationship with the Lord, you need to become sensitive to the nudges. The more you pay attention to the nudges and respond correctly the deeper your spiritual walk will go.
     Lane and I have been praying to move when God moves, to say what He says. We don't want to be out of step with Him at all. We are prepared to do what that requires of us, if it requires that we limit our entertainment to grow closer to our Father and to better hear the Spirit, then so be it, we will gladly give up questionable entertainment that is only for a short moments pleasure and then quickly forgotten so we will be able to walk in unison with our Lord! And again I say "I think that the level of things you let go of in worldly things creates the level you can go deeper with the Spirit into Godly things."

No comments:

Post a Comment